Dear Valued Clients,
On June 24, 2023, the National Assembly passed the Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on Entry and Exit of Vietnamese Citizens and the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam and it takes effect from August 15, 2023. Accordingly, the article will update Clients with the highlights related to visas in this new legal document.
In general, the new contents related to visas for foreigners are expected to create a breakthrough for tourism development in particular and socio-economic development in general in the process of deeper integration of Vietnam with the world. The prominent new regulations and policies on Vietnam visas are as follows:
1. Vietnam issues electronic visas (E-Visa) to citizens of all countries and territories in the world from August 15, 2023
The Government of Vietnam issued Resolution No.127/NQ-CP dated August 14, 2023, on the application of E-Visa issuance to citizens of all countries in the world, including 257 countries and territories. Previously, Vietnam has applied E-Visa to 80 countries, but with this new Resolution, foreigners regardless of nationality and country can apply for Vietnam E-Visa through online method since August 15, 2023. This means that anyone from anywhere in the world can easily set foot in Vietnam for purposes such as tourism, visiting relatives, working, or carrying out commercial activities.
The key change in this policy is the duration of the E-Visa. According to the Resolution, the E-Visa is valid from 01 months to a maximum of 03 months. This creates flexible conditions for foreigners to experience and explore Vietnam in the corresponding time period. Furthermore, foreigners will be able to enter through all of Vietnam’s border gates, helping to facilitate movement.
2. Change the duration of some types of visas for foreigners
Specifically, the implementation duration from August 15, 2023, applies to the following types of visas:
– The duration of a SQ visa is no longer than 30 days.
– The duration of an HN, DL, or EV visa is no longer than 90 days.
– The duration of a VR visa is no longer than 180 days.
– The duration of a NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4, LV1, LV2, DN, NN1, NN2, NN3, DH, PV1, PV2 or TT visa is no longer than 01 year.
– The duration of an LD1 or LD2 visa is no longer than 02 years.
– The duration of a DT3 visa is no longer than 03 years.
– The duration of a LS, DT1, DT2 visa is no longer than 05 years.
– When a visa is expired, its issuance shall be considered.
– The duration of a visa shall be at least 30 days shorter than that of a passport or document for international travel.
– Unless the treaty to which Vietnam is a contracting party provides otherwise, the visa duration shall be granted according to the treaty.
3. Vietnam extends the duration for granting temporary residence certificates at border gates for people entering the country under the visa exemption category from 15 days to 45 days
According to the new provisions in the Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on entry, exit, transit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam, from August 15, 2023, citizens of some countries granted Unilateral visa exemption will have a visa-free entry period in Vietnam lasting up to 45 days, tripled compared to the previous duration of 15 days.
The countries currently affected by this change in visa policy are citizens of some countries that are enjoying Vietnam’s unilateral visa exemption policy, including Korea, Japan, Russia, Switzerland, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Belarusian. These are countries that have a close partnership with Vietnam and have actively contributed to the country’s economic development and tourism in recent years.
As always, we hope you find this Legal Article useful and look forward to working with you in the future.
ENT LAW LLC
The full version of this Legal Article can be found here.
 Article 9 Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam 2014 (amended 2019), amended in Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on Exit and Entry of Vietnamese Citizens and the Law on Entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
 Law amending and supplementing a number of articles of the Law on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens and the Law on entry, exit, transit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.